Got a few days of vacation on your hands and a case of the winter blues? Then check out our list of 10 quick, easy-to-get-to (relatively speaking) destinations that will warm your heart and soul.
Don't forget, when you're ready to plan your quick, spontaneous escape, contact your helpful and professional Hideaways Travel Specialist (800-843-4433). Each expert agent offers exceptional, detailed, and thoughtful travel planning like you'll never get online or when you go it alone.
FROM THE EAST COAST
1. Bermuda: There may be a chill in the air during the winter, but that just gives you an excuse to pull on that dashing pastel sweater and slacks you packed that are so Bermuda. The island is just a quick flight from the East Coast and offers great golf, tennis, dining, and shopping. Rent a moped for touring the island if you're feeling adventurous. We recommend The Rosedon, a charming boutique hotel within walking distance of downtown Hamilton.
2. The Florida Keys: Take a quick flight to the Keys and be transported to another world. Warm days will find you sunning on white-sand beaches, boating on the Gulf, playing championship golf, and maybe doing a little fishing. We recommend family-friendly Cheeca Lodge & Spa on Islamorada, and Tranquility Bay, a condo resort in Marathon.
3. Puerto Rico: Quick and easy to get to from the Eastern Seaboard, San Juan is both familiar as an American commonwealth, and yet a bit exotic with its Spanish history, colonial architecture, and vibrant cuisine. We recommend El San Juan Resort & Casino, an elegant beachfront hotel in the fashionable Isla Verde district, and Hotel El Convento, the "grande dame" of historic Old San Juan hotels.
4. The Dominican Republic: Fly into Punta Cana for a long weekend and be dazzled by the perfect weather and long stretches of powder-white beach. You'll be able to enjoy all the water sports you can possibly imagine, plus excellent golf, horseback riding, and family bonding time. We recommend Sivory Punta Cana for an intimate couple's retreat, and Casa de Campo, with its wide range of accommodations and activities galore for the entire family.
FROM THE MIDWEST
5. New York City: The Big Apple is a perfect quick getaway when you want to take in a show, splurge with some designer shopping, enjoy a gourmet meal, and otherwise pamper yourself during those dreary days of winter. For a real treat, bundle up and take a carriage ride through Central Park. We recommend The Shoreham, a stylish and contemporary hideaway with a great central location that's convenient to Fifth Avenue, Central Park, and the Theater District.
6. Jamaica: It's easy to get here, and it's easy to get spoiled here by the island's warm and friendly locals. So grab a Red Stripe and some jerk barbecue, and settle in for sun, swimming, and a whole new frame of mind. We recommend the classic and luxurious Round Hill Hotel and Villas in Montego Bay, and the intimate, family-owned Jamaica Inn in Ocho Rios.
7. Grand Cayman: All you need to pack is a bathing suit and sunscreen, and you'll be sitting pretty on gorgeous Seven Mile Beach. Swim with stingrays, try offshore snorkeling, go angling for tarpon, and sample gourmet cuisine from a plethora of celebrated restaurants (Grand Cayman is considered the culinary capital of the Caribbean). We recommend the beachfront, three-bedroom condos of Coral Stone Club, and the spacious three-bedroom units at Caribbean Club.
FROM THE WEST COAST
8. Hawaii: Okay, it's not exactly right around the corner, but a five-hour flight from LA takes you to a world of exotic tropical beauty that's guaranteed to melt your winter-hardened soul. We recommend one of the many condo resorts or private vacation homes available through Hideaways Travel Services (800-843-4433).
9. Cabo San Lucas: Just a quick flight south of the border, and before you know it you're in the middle of perfect sunny weather, some of the best fishing in the world, and more championship golf courses than you can count. We recommend one of the many condo resorts or private vacation homes available through Hideaways Travel Services (800-843-4433).
10. Las Vegas: Spend a long weekend testing your luck at the slots, taking in an extravagant show or two, and just soaking in the craziness that is Vegas. Pure entertainment! We recommend Wynn Las Vegas, a sophisticated hotel at the quiet end of The Strip, and the luxurious Bellagio, with its iconic water-fountain show that's synchronized to music.